Benefits of College Counseling
The cost of a Bachelor’s Degree starts at $40,000, and can rise to over $280,000 for 4 years at some private colleges. This is a major investment, and having expert counseling can make an enormous difference financially and emotionally.
While nobody can make guarantees about future results, our students have received significant merit based scholarships. In the last year alone, they have been awarded over $3 million dollars of merit scholarship money – in most cases this has been a wonderful return on investment for the families who have hired us, more than covering the cost of my services!
In addition to the financial benefits, we also help students grow as individuals, worry less during this potentially stressful process, and get admitted to colleges where they can thrive.
Our advice is tailored to the individual needs of each client, but our goal is always the same – admission to a college that the student loves, and is a great fit for. 85% of our students have been accepted by their first choice college.
Each student that we work with receives extensive college coaching because we only work with a a limited number of students each year. In contrast to a guidance counselor who may have hundreds of students in their roster, we get to know each of our students well. This in-depth knowledge enables us to focus on the areas of their college preparation that need the most attention.
Every student has unique needs – whether it’s developing ideas for essays, expanding their resume and extra-curricular activities, or coaching on interview skills, we can help.
Apply to the Right College
Selecting a college that aligns with their goals and desires can be one of the most complicated decisions that a young adult has made in their lifetime. Our educational consulting helps students navigate the vast sea of choices with the following strategies:
- Use a Myers Briggs Type Indicator to understand the student’s strengths and weaknesses, and discuss the findings to give us both insight into their natural tendencies and uniqueness.
- Provide a list of colleges tailored to each student’s unique abilities, interests, grades and goals.
- Review strategies for conducting effective college visits, and provide tools to help the students objectively evaluate each potential school.
- Discuss admissions requirements for schools of interest and help to narrow the pool to those most aligned with the student’s academic history.
Improve Your Chances of Admission
Selecting the correct schools is only part of the challenge. Using our college coaching skills to empower each student by teaching them how to make the right choices, market themselves, and interview effectively gives them a significant advantage.
- Assist in developing a resume/activities list to highlight the student’s distinctive strengths and special achievements.
- Compare the different standardized testing options to determine whether the student should focus on the SAT, ACT, or SAT II’s
- Discuss test preparation options, including cost-effective or free review strategies.
- Discuss approaches for writing essays and personal statements, help the student to identify and highlight their unique strengths, brainstorm ideas, assist with topic selection and provide feedback on the writings prior to submission.
- Conduct practice interviews to make our students more effective and comfortable with college admission interviews.
Reduce Stress and Improve Outcomes
While all of the above college consulting services inherently help to reduce the stress on the student and their family, we also do some other things that are specifically designed to help in this area:
- Our counseling system works effectively and keeps the students moving smoothly through the process with the knowledge that they have an expert who cares about their success.
- We strive to help the student become more self-aware and build their confidence as they tackle this very important milestone.
- Having us keep the students on course allows the parent/child relationship to be healthier and less stressful.
The Bottom Line
Picking the right school saves money.
Fewer than half the students who start freshman year at a college will graduate from that same college. Transfers and dropouts are common, and the 4-year graduation rate across the country hovers at 40%.
No matter where you are on your path to college acceptance, we can help add your story to our growing list of successful outcomes. Take the first step to a brighter future and request a free meeting with me today.